… and just like that, June is over and we’re in July! Is it just me or did that month pass in the blink of an eye?
Luckily, July is starting with a much-needed breather for me, as I started my summer vacation yesterday! Two weeks of blissful freedom, almost no plans, and fantastic weather, if the outlook is to be trusted. Copenhagen is perfect in the summer!
My plans include excessive sunbathing on the balcony or the harbor pool by my house, lots of reading (I have what feels like forty-five books that I started reading but never finished), sipping cold rosé on the balcony, and hanging out with friends. We might do a little trip to the summer house, and we’re getting a new couch delivered, but that’s really about it.
I’m currently enjoying
- Starting my German Rumtopf with the last juicy, sweet Danish strawberries of the season.
- Our balcony garden – even though the weather has been hard on some plants. I had to take all herbs indoors, as they couldn’t stand the heat, but our tomato plants are LOVING this climate! They’re shooting up like crazy, and I even found the first red tomato the other day!
- The vegetarian buffet at RizRaz on Kompagnistræde, which my friend introduced me to – the food was delicious, the selection more than generous, and the price entirely reasonable (DKK 99).
- A cold drink on a summer night… You already know I’m partial to rosé, but if you’re looking for something different, try my super easy homemade Danish akvavit & tonic!
- Cold brew coffee! I really need to learn how to make my own. Any pointers?
- Danish high school graduation season and the tradition of “studenterkørsel“, where students don their graduation caps and go around town in decorated trucks to celebrate. Here’s a good article on what that’s all about.
On my mind
I love my ‘hood!
When I moved to Sluseholmen almost 6 years ago, the area was pretty, but also pretty dead. Over the last couple of years, it has exploded, and more and more businesses, cafes, and food places have popped up. I’m planning a little series over the summer of some of my favorite places in my ‘hood, so keep an eye out for that!
We’re only about 3 months out from our wedding date, and things are starting to take shape for real! We’re headed to our wedding location to talk menu and meet with the photographer. I’m considering if I should post an update about the whole process – is that something you’d like to read?
Is there anything you’d like to read about here on the blog? Let me know if you have any suggestions or requests!
Enjoy your well-deserved summer break!